Re: [RP] [RFC v3] Add xrandr support

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: [RP] [RFC v3] Add xrandr support
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:18:20 +0100

Hi,

I use ratpoison with xrandr for a few weeks (now with the xrandr branch
on the official git repo), and it works well!

A few things though (sorry if the vocabulary I use isn't accurate):

1. ':restart' command puts windows onto a display that isn't the primary
display (VGA1).

Here is my xrandr init command (generated with arandr):

xrandr --output VIRTUAL1 --off --output DP3 --off --output DP2 --off
--output DP1 --off --output TV1 --off --output HDMI2 --off --output
HDMI1 --off --output LVDS1 --primary --mode 1280x800 --pos 0x768
--rotate normal --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

Here is the output of the 'xrandr' command:

LVDS1 connected primary 1280x800+0+768 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 261mm x 163mm
   1280x800      59.99*+  50.00
   1024x768      60.00
   800x600       60.32    56.25
   640x480       59.94
   640x400       60.00
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
TV1 unknown connection (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   848x480       59.94 +
   640x480       59.94 +
   1024x768      59.94
   800x600       59.94
VGA1 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm x
301mm
   1280x1024     60.02 +  75.02
   1152x864      75.00
   1024x768      75.03*   60.00
   800x600       75.00    60.32
   640x480       75.00    59.94
   720x400       70.08
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

2. With a default conf (no xrandr command at all) and VGA1 plugged:

The size of the windows I spawn on LVDS1 is 1024x768, with margins at
bottom and right, so that the full display size (window + margins) is
1280x800.

Output of 'xwininfo' on the problematic window:

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe0000d "xterm"

  Absolute upper-left X:  0
  Absolute upper-left Y:  0
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1020
  Height: 754
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x20
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 1
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x22 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +0+0  -258+0  -258-44  +0-44
  -geometry 127x50+0+0

I expect windows to take the full display size instead, and no margins.
If I do 'C-t N' before spawning windows, I get the behaviour I expect.

Output of 'xwininfo' after I did 'C-t N':

xwininfo: Window id: 0xe0000d "xterm"

  Absolute upper-left X:  0
  Absolute upper-left Y:  0
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1276
  Height: 784
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x20
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 1
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x22 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +0+0  -2+0  -2-14  +0-14
  -geometry 159x52+0+0

Output of 'xrandr':

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1280 x 800, maximum 32767 x 32767
LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 261mm x
[...]

Thanks Mathieu!

--
Clément Lassieur