Re: [RP] [RFC] Add xrandr support

From: Jeremie Courreges-Anglas
Subject: Re: [RP] [RFC] Add xrandr support
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:36:24 +0100

Axel Beckert <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 11:19:35AM +0100, Mathieu OTHACEHE wrote:
>> "It is probably better to view RandR as a superset of Xinerama
>> at this point and use it in preference to Xinerama where both are present."
>>
>> So I guess you can do whatever was possible on xinerama with xrandr,
>> even on workstation scenario.
>
> I seem to not have been aware of all current possibilities of XRandR.
>
> For me, the big difference between Xinerama and XRandR was:
>
> * Xinerama is configured statically and globally inside xorg.conf,
>   i.e. also affects Login/Display Managers like e.g. XDM, WDM, LightDM
>   and GDM.
>
> * XRandR is configured by the user and only _after_ the X session
>   already has been started.
>
> But my error probably was to look for "xrandr" and "XRandR" in
> xorg.conf(5) while I should have been looking for just "RandR" without
> "X".
>
> So XRandR indeed seems to be able to do everything I've done with
> Xinerama so far, also via xorg.conf.

This matches what I remember of randr.  I'm pretty happy to see such
a patch that has good chances to make it in the repo - and even trigger
a new release.

However I'd like people who actually have multiple screens setups to
*test this and report back*.  I have never used ratpoison with multiple
screens, I don't have multiple screens at hand and I don't want to make
assumptions about the changes that might affect users. :)

Thanks,
--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE