Re: [RP] is-wm-query

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] is-wm-query
Date: Thu Aug 28 22:35:02 2003

Quoth Shawn Betts <address@hidden> on or about 28 Aug 2003 13:26:54 -0700
>  twb <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  > Is there a way of checking if rp is the WM on $DISPLAY?
>  >  (from the shell, that is, so launchers know if they can use rp to add
> extra args)
>
>  how about:
>
>  $ ratpoison -c 'getenv DISPLAY'

You misunderstand me, Shawn.  I have a stand-alone keybinder that runs
all the time.   Occasionally I switch to sawfish  or something[0], and
`ratpoison -c 'colon exec dillo http://gooogle.com.au/search?q=' et al
don't work, because ratpoison isn't running.

Worse, the commands get cached (because  of the weird way I swith WMs)
and when I switch back to RP, they all execute at once (blarg).

What I want is to bind stuff like:

`if (WM=RP); then ratpoison -c 'colon exec dillo
http://gooogle.com.au/search?q='; else dillo http://google.com.au/search; fi`

I  hadn't known about  xlsconfig; but  unfortunately it  isn't listing
ratpoison.

I  don't really  want to  use a  grubby `ps  ... |  grep  ...` because
sometimes I run multiple instances of X.

I was  hoping there'd be  some X Resource  or something that  I didn't
know about.

-trent

[0]: e.g.  for those  apps that  automatically resize  themselves back
     whenever you  resize them, so  they flicker like buggery  and fry
     your processor.

--
 There seem to be two kinds of linux users, those who come from a unix
 background and  those who come  from an ibm-pc background.  You could