Re: [RP] what about... (features)

From: Doug Kearns
Subject: Re: [RP] what about... (features)
Date: Tue Apr 29 05:57:22 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 06:59:11PM +1000, twb wrote:
> Quoth Shawn Betts <address@hidden>
> >  John Meacham <address@hidden> writes:
> >  > Pasting into the ratpoison input windows would be nice on occasion. not
> >  > on middle-click though, on shift-insert as is standard.
> >
> >  C-y is standard in these parts :). This seems like it could be a good
> >  thing. I'll investigate this.
> >
> >  Shawn
>
> (yuk) alternative: use `xpaste` or one of those little cli-cut-buffer
> utils. I haven't tried this stuff m'self,  so I can't say much more.
> However, C-y  would  be  much  more   handy.
>
> Another  handy  thing would  be C-a/C-b/C-f/C-e movement back and
> forward thru the C-t ! input window. Useful  e.g. opening  a web
> address in  different browsers.  Haven't mentioned it before because
> it's probably  a lot of extra code for one little functionality.

OK, since no one searches the archive. :-)

Have a look at

http://mugca.its.monash.edu.au/~djkea2/ratpoison/line_editor.patch

It provides basic emacs style line editing, full GNU History support,
pasting from the clipboard, and ... a bell too! Sorry, no whistles.

It's rough but it works. (TM)

The patch is actually a little old but shouldn't take too much work to
apply. If it does let me know and I'll make a new one against current
CVS.

> Another idea I toyed with for a while (not under RP, tho) was to use
> an xterm / xvt instead of a WM-internal ]sh -c[ input
>
>       that is,  run xterm -geom  100x1+700+0 or whatever,  and don't
>       include it in the window  list -- use it modally (can't change
>       focus until xterm dies).
>
> , so you automatically get all the xterm & bash functionality.

So have I, but I never got around to finishing it off. I'm thinking of
writing a nice zsh completion function for RP and that'll probably
provide the required impetus.

Regards,
Doug