[RP] Bug with rdesktop, and programs wanting Ctrl-T

From: Casey Allen Shobe
Subject: [RP] Bug with rdesktop, and programs wanting Ctrl-T
Date: Wed Apr 16 12:40:07 2003

In screen, if you press the command sequence twice, the command sequence is
passed to the program, which is quite handy.  This is what I think C-t,C-t
should do in ratpoison.

Also, I use rdesktop for access to a Windows terminal server.  Well, if I
run rdesktop -f <ip>, then I end up with a windows session where I can't
change to other windows (ratpoison never gets the Ctrl-T).

To workaround this, I am running rdesktop in a full screen nested X with the
following script:
#!/bin/sh
Xnest :1 -geometry 1270x990 -bw 0 -depth 24 &
DISPLAY=":1" rdesktop -f -k dv 192.168.17.28
killall Xnest

This presents some problems...If I use any ratpoison command (i.e. changing
windows), then not only does the C-t execute a ratpoison command, but it
also gets passed to ratpoison (which is quite annoying when the application
I'm in uses C-t for a new database connection).

However, the C-t passing isn't the bad part - the bad part is that the
following Ctrl keypress gets passed to rdesktop, but the following character
that completes the ratpoison command (and the subsequent keyrelease) never
get passed, so rdesktop ends up thinking that the Ctrl-key is still pressed,
making the system nearly unusable until I press Ctrl again (if you've ever
tried using Windows with the Ctrl key held down, you feel my pain ;-) ).

I love ratpoison, and am happy to see more active development being done!

--
Casey Allen Shobe, Developer & Linux Administrator
SecureWorks, Inc. / 404.327.6339 x169 / Fax: 404.728.0144

00001110 is good for the soul.