Re: [RP] complile-time bindable

From: David Yitzchak Cohen
Subject: Re: [RP] complile-time bindable
Date: Sun Apr 6 13:29:04 2003

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 01:14:24PM -0700, Ryan Yeske wrote:

> Joe Corneli <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Remember some of us use Dvorak, so perhaps compile time should have a
> > -dvorak option so that things like hjkl are mapped to convenient things.
> > Maybe dhtn?
> I thought hjkl was made for Dvorak :)
Personally, I prefer aueo instead of hjkl, respectively.  (I'm assuming
the above was a joke, BTW.)

> > But really I tend to think it is better to make everything easily
> > remappable rather than bound at compile time...
> Indeed.
Yeah, we can make them remappable at runtime if we want, but it seems to
me like a waste of dev time.  Ratpoison is a tiny program that any user
who wants it can obtain and install locally using his own compile-time
options and/or patches.  Implementing compile-time-selectable options is
nearly always easier than implementing run-time-selectable options, and
I fail to see the need for run-time-selectable options - especially for
something like this (although it goes without saying that I'll welcome
a run-time-selectable option for this with as much enthusiasm as anybody).

Of course, though, I can't decide what Shawn will spend his time
coding ;-)

JMHO,
 - Dave