Re: [RP] vmware

From: Eduard Werner
Subject: Re: [RP] vmware
Date: Sat Oct 26 04:03:01 2002

From: "James H. Laros" <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:01:18 -0600

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:30:16PM +0200, Eduard Werner wrote:
> > > I have read the postings about the problems with VMWARE
> > > and tried the "workaround" in conf.h to make it unmanaged.
> >
> > That's at least what I am using. It's perfectly ok with me.
> > The only thing I don't like is that it won't show up in the
> > window list, but maybe this has changed (I'm using rp 1.1).
>
> I haven't messed with it much and I don't much care about the
> window list, but what about cycling through windows? Since
> it is unmanaged it seemed that I would have to bring it
> up when I want to use it and then exit out when I am
> done instead of multitasking...

No, you don't, unless maybe if you need several unmanaged windows.
VMWare is the only one for me, so you can cycle away normally with C-t
n/p. You won't get back to it with cycling, of course (because it's
unmanaged -- it won't show up on the window list either), but C-t -
will switch to it.

> > > problems? If I cannot get VMWARE to work to my satisfaction
> > > I don't mind buying codeweavers but I would like to know
> > > ahead of time and haven't seen info about it yet.
> >
> > I have to use wine for a certain project and it's ok for me.
> > What *is* your problem?
>
> None yet, like I said I was investigating options and seeing
> if there were problems with it and ratpoision.

Well, as I was the guy with the VMware problems mentioned -- for me
they are solved.

Hope this helps

Edi

PS: Why don't you simply install RP and a VMWare trial version and
try it out?