[RP] xterm/x-terminal-emulator/whatever dependency

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: [RP] xterm/x-terminal-emulator/whatever dependency
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:19:21 +0100

Hi there!

Yesterday on IRC I asked if the dependency on xterm or any other x terminal
emulator
could be removed. The current situation (as of today :) is that ratpoison
cannot be
easily built without an xterm. This is especially painful when I want to create
the
Debian package. To solve the problem RealFast, I added a xterm |
x-terminal-emulator
to ratpoison's build-dependency (in debian/control). However, I don't think
this is
nice, as RP can be built without it.

So, my proposal is the following: hack configure.in, and change it, so
--with-xterm will
default to xterm, can be overridden from the commandline (no change till this),
but
it must not fail, when it does not found it. It should not look for the
specified xterm
at all! If the user doesn't have any xterm-like program, he'll configure RP
accordingly,
most users will be happy with the default :)

Anyway, if configure won't fail when there is no xterm/whatever, I could remove
the
build-dependency on xterm | x-terminal-emulator, and change
Depends: xterm | x-terminal-emulator to a Recommends: only.

What do you think ?

Gergely Nagy \ mhp/|8]