ranger-users

[Ranger-users] Customized 'edit' command

From: John Z.
Subject: [Ranger-users] Customized 'edit' command
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:04:05 -0400

Hi everyone again!

    New question: is it possible to somehow have <enter> key call
customized 'edit' command when executed on text files, and have this
map set up either during runtime, or (ideally!) via run argument?

    What I have is Vim instance running as a server and a ranger instance open
selected files in that instance of Vim. It works with my current hack, a change
to my local rifle.conf:86 to this:

    mime ^text,  label editor = $EDITOR --remote-silent "$@"

    This, plus tiling window manager, plus Midnight Commander look results in
pretty nifty shell-driven IDE! Issue is, now *all* requests for edit
(including bulk_rename) are sent to this instance of Vim. I'd like to be able
to define, per ranger instance, to which Vim server will I send the file, or
shall file be edited in-place.

    If possible, I'd like not to have to set up this per file type,
since sometimes different projects will share a file type, but I want
different ranger instances to open them in different vim instances.

    Other things I tried
    - 'map enter', but it maps how enter behaves when I hit the
      directory as well.
    - 'alias edit my_edit', but I didn't manage to do it successfully

    Sorry if my description wasn't clear enough, please ask if something
is confusing and I'll try to clarify it.

    Thanks in advance!