ranger-users

Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac

From: niku
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Preview images on a Mac
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 13:25:59 +0530

Hello Andy

>    - w3mimgdisplay is installed and functioning "correctly" in that it will
>    open image files in X11 in an ImageMagick window when typing w3mimgdisplay
>    . So, while it isn't displaying images in the terminal, it is installed and
>    I can make it open images.

1) Did you try `w3m http://www.google.com', and did you find images on
that page?

2) I am assuming that you gave yourself execute permissions to the
w3mimgdisplay file. At any rate, please tell the output of
`ls -l /path/to/w3mimgdisplay'.

3) w3mimgdisplay is not working correctly! w3mimgdisplay is
not supposed to use ImageMagick, but render the images natively.

Going through the w3m-img code for X11 (x11_w3mimg.c) file, I find
that any one of three libraries is required for rendering images:
* Imlib
* Imlib2
* Gdk-pixbuf/GTK2
(mentioned in that order in the source code)

Is any of the above available on your system? Further, did you use the
optional option `--with-imagelib=<…>' while configuring the w3m source
code? (This is necessary for w3m to be built with image-rendering
support. Check the w3m-n.n.n/configue' file.)

4) Just for curiosity, can you please tell how you are opening the
image using ImageMagick via the command `w3mimgdisplay'? (i.e. what is
the command you are typing?)

>    - Running sudo ranger (the sudo is there to make sure I have admin
>    privileges to run the binaries in /opt/local/bin in case there is an issue
>    with w3mimgdisplay needing more privileges to run) still gives the
> error "Method
>    number 0 is undefined". However, it no longer says "Error [2] No such file
>    or directory".

5) This is interesting, but I don’t know what this means.

>    I don't see a setting for w3mimgdisplay above. [when `r' is
>    pressed.] Could this be where the problems are?

I (with a working w3mimgdisplay+ranger installation) don’t have a
w3mimgdisplay option on pressing `r' either. (And, in any case, it
would not help, as there is an elaborate mechanism to communicate with
the w3mimgdisplay library; not just `command <filename>'!)

~niku.