ranger-users

Re: [Ranger-users] scout command

From: Joshua Landau
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] scout command
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 19:07:49 +0000

On 1 March 2013 07:59, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
> Also, we really really need arrows working with scout. If files are
> substrings , you have no solution to select a file but to abandon:

> ranger
> ranger-10
> ranger-100
>
> If you want to get to ranger and in moment when you start typing cursor
> is at ranger-100, or it gets there during filtering, there is no way you can get to it but cancel. So, we need arrows working.

You can press <TAB> to move to the next match.  When using -f, it's
equivalent to moving 1 down.  Some time I'll implement Shift+Tab too to
get to the previous match.

I haven't yet tried the new :scout (I'll do it soon), but I've found that a <pagedown> and <pageup> alias in the command prompt to move up and down is very useful for these sorts of cases*. It's universally active, though, which may potentially be dangerous for commands expecting no movement over their duration (like :delete).

It also frees up <tab> for non-movement things, maybe like completion** or some other inventive stuff. It's a hack, yes, but it works now so it's worth trying.

*This is the code for ~/.config/ranger/rc.conf:
cmap <pageup> move up=1
cmap <pagedown> move down=1

**How? Say your filter "Y" matches the files "aXYZb", "cXYZd" and "eXYZf" for any "a".."f" and "X".."Z", it could expand the search to "XYZ". It might be interesting to see if one can implement this for the letter-skip version. It's probably not really useful though.