quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 07/26] Escape ASCII hyphen-minus characters used

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 07/26] Escape ASCII hyphen-minus characters used as such.
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:33:25 +0200

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 12:22:39 -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> When a "literal" ASCII 45 hyphen-minus character is desired, it has to
> be escaped; this is a requirement going all the way back to Bell Labs
> Troff, but is frequently overlooked.  Getting it right enables
> accurate cut-and-paste of code examples, filenames, URLs, and so forth
> from roff documents prepared for UTF-8 terminal and PDF output, possibly
> among others.
>
> See section 2.1 of CSTR #54, "Troff User's Manual", Ossanna & Kernighan
> <https://www.troff.org/54.pdf>.

I'm curious why hyphens must be double-escaped (\\) while double-quotes
are only escaped once (\)?

Also, I see a number of non-escaped hyphens left, if that on purpose or
an overlook?

12:Patches can be applied, un-applied, refreshed, etc.
42:sub-directory of the source tree (see EXAMPLE OF WORKING TREE below).
52:directory may contain sub-directories.
64:directory; patches may be in sub-directories below this directory.
104:patches sub-directory is a convenient location.
106:The .pc directory and its sub-directories cannot be relocated, but it
133:The exit status is 0 if the sub-command was successfully executed, and
247:following syntax - colon (:) separated list of elements, each being of
282:Used in 'quilt diff' to color the 15-asterisk sequence before or after a

Other than that, looks good, no objection.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support