quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Enforcing valid patch names

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Enforcing valid patch names
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 14:20:31 +0200

Hi Martin,

Le Friday 09 May 2014 à 00:01 +0200, Martin Quinson a écrit :
> In attachement.

I like it. Comments:

* Spaces aren't the only character which we can't accept in patch names.
We also can't accept newlines nor tabs, and patch names starting with
'#' are not OK either, due to the format of the series file. Newlines
are hard to deal with, but grep -q '\(^#\|[[:space:]]\)' should catch
the rest.

* I see duplicate blank lines in the new test case, please don't do
that. Duplicate blank lines make it very easy to apply future patches at
the wrong spot. If you want to separate the different tests, use
comments.

* Your patch doesn't cover "quilt setup". This can be done later, I
suspect it will be more difficult.

* While your proposal is a very good start, maybe in the future we could
rename the faulty patches on the fly, by replacing unacceptable
characters with underscores, instead of failing. I strongly suspect that
this is what the user will end up doing anyway so automating this would
be more user-friendly.

Feel free to commit your patch, improvements can come later.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support