quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] RFC: quilt pop and read-only files

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] RFC: quilt pop and read-only files
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:47:49 +0100

Hi Kaz,

Le vendredi 30 novembre 2012 à 15:03 -0800, Kaz Kylheku a écrit :
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:30:42 -0500, Benjamin Poirier <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >     $ quilt pop
> >     Patch patches/demo does not remove cleanly (refresh it or enforce with
> > -f)
> >
> > The first problem is here. This message is misleading, in fact we are in the
> > case "Failed to patch temporary files", the output from patch was:
> > "File file is read-only; refusing to patch
> > 1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file file.rej"
>
> Really?
>
> quilt pop should not be patching anything. It should be
> restoring the original file (inode object) from the .pc/
> directory, by manipulation of hard links.
>
> When you pop that patch off, the behavior I would expect that you
> should have the original file object, with the same modification
> timestamp and inode number.

That's more or less what "quilt pop -f" does, except that it purposely
doesn't preserve modification time, as that would break the expectations
of most build systems.

> This could be some regression from "how it is supposed to work".

I don't think so. Simply, "quilt pop" is nice and first checks that you
don't have unrefreshed changes before going on, so that you don't lose
your work. In order to do this, it applies the top-most patch to the
previous version of every touched file, and compares the result with the
current working state. If there is no difference, it restores and then
touches the files. If there are differences, it asks the user to choose
between refresh and force.

--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3