quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Request for review/testing ...

From: Peter Williams
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Request for review/testing ...
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:09:48 +1000

... of pyquilt (an implementation of quilt in Python).

I've just finished implementing quilt in Python to the stage where it passes all of quilt's test suite. The source is in a Mercurial repository at sourceforge and can be obtained by:

hg clone http://darning.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgroot/darning/pyquilt

or browsed at:

http://darning.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/darning/pyquilt

As far as I know, the only quilt functionality not implemented is the use of rpm spec files with the setup sub command (which is not covered in the test suite). But I'm not naive enough to think this means that it's problem free hence the request for review testing.

The code doesn't need to be installed in order to be run and all that is necessary is for the base source directory to be in your PATH.

The main reason that I wrote this code was as research to make sure I had a good understanding of patch series management issues (for my darning project) but it may have other uses especially on non Unix systems (as it only requires diff, patch, diffstat, grep and a sendmail equivalent unless you use xz or lzma for compression). I intend to get rid of the need for diffstat by replacing its use with Python code and Python has a library for sending mail which may remove the need for direct access to sendmail.

Anyway, if anyone on this list is interested, I'd appreciate testing/review feedback.

Thanks
Peter
PS To run quilt's test suite on this code do:

make check QUILTTESTDIR=<path to quilt test dir>

in the code's base directory. It copies the *.test files to a local directory, makes the necessary substitutions of pyquilt for quilt and runs the tests. Afterwards "make spotless" will get rid of the temporary directory.