quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] filenames containing whitespace not handled correctly

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] filenames containing whitespace not handled correctly
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:21:49 +0200

Hi Kurtis,

Le samedi 19 septembre 2009, Kurtis Rader a écrit :
> While working on a script to make Quilt play nicely with Perforce I noticed
> that file names containing whitespace are not handled correctly:
>
> # quilt add "a b"
> File google3/experimental/quilt/a added to patch writable_file_check
> File google3/experimental/quilt/b added to patch writable_file_check
>
> I tried to file a bug but attempting to create a user account failed with
> the error "could not read site specific information".

In fact there's already a bug opened for this:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?19477

Its summary line is simply more restrictive than the facts: virtually
all quilt functions fail when used on files with a space in their
name. Unfortunately it isn't trivial to fix: you have to go through
_all_ quilt code and check that every parameter is properly quoted.
That could be done, but that's really a lot of work. So far, I have
opted for a different strategy: I am simply not using spaces in my
patch names. They are a pain in many cases, regardless of quilt's
breakage, anyway.

--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3