quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Some enhancements for the "quilt header" command

From: John Vandenberg
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Some enhancements for the "quilt header" command
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:23:20 +1000

On 8/25/05, Joe Green <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I have some patches that implement some enhancements to the "quilt header"
> command.  These have been helpful to us, and I thought others might find
> them useful.
>
> quilt-header_templates.patch
>
> This patch allows template header files to be created which will be provided
> to a users who edits a patch header that is currently empty.  It takes the
> first file it finds of $QUILT_PATCHES/quilt.header, $HOME/.quilt.header, and
> /etc/quilt.header.  So, default headers can be created by project, user or
> distribution.
>  quilt-header_comments.patch
>
> This patch allows comments to be placed in header template files that will
> be stripped out when the header is saved.  These comments can be used to
> prompt the user for the kind of information that should be in the header.
> This implemenation assumes any line in the header beginning with "//" is a
> comment, and strips it out.

Both of these would be great.  For the comment marker, I think hash
would be more appropriate.  When a // is on the first line of a file,
file(1) will report 'ASCII C++ program text'; a hash reports 'ASCII
text'.

As a side thought, it would be useful to be able to include
CVS/Template in the list of templates.  CVS/Template may contain
comments prefixed with 'CVS: '.

>  quilt-padheader.patch
>
> This patch adds a "--pad" option to the header command to automatically add
> one or more blank lines to separate the header from the body.

It would be nice if this also stripped extra blank lines greater than --pad.
--
John