quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] restoring moved file

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] restoring moved file
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:26:55 +0200

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:06:49AM +1000, John Vandenberg wrote:
> Personally, I would prefer that
> pop would overwrite the stale file, but there may be other
> circumstances where restoring the file could cause irreparable
> dataloss.

Arg. Yeah, don't do that, please.

> The following patch reports why it cant be removed cleanly,
> so the user knows its probably safe to enforce.  How do others think
> quilt should handle this scenario?

I have little ideas here, I just wanted to comment on the patch itself:

> +        printf $"File $file2 can not be restored: file exists\n" >&2

This prevents translation to work because $file2 is extended in the string,
and then we look for a translation of, say "File get_funky.c can not be
restored: file exists\n", which of course doesn't exist.

That's why you have to use "%s" construct since it delays the variable
expension until after the translation lookup.

Bye, Mt.