quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Fw: [UTILITY] lksp - Help sending patches to lkml from q

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Fw: [UTILITY] lksp - Help sending patches to lkml from quilt repository
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:26:47 +0100

Hello Tejun,

[Andrew, thanks for the forward!]

On Friday 11 February 2005 11:13, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Begin forwarded message:
> [...]
>  As I've been making quite a few mistakes posting patches to lkml.  I
> wrote a perl script which automates sending multiple patches to lkml
> from a quilt repository.

thanks for the hint. Did you check out the quilt mail command, btw? It does
several of the things you describe, but isn't perfect, either. Sending mail
properly turned out to be a little harder than I initially thought. What
`quilt mail' is still missing includes:

 - select a range of patches (easy to implement or work around),
 - automatically quote special characters in headers (mostly recipients;
   it does check for valid headers, though),
 - Figure out a reasonable encoding for non-7bit-patches,
 - probably some more issues.

Would you mind to check out the differences between the mail command and lksp,
so that we can combine the good things? There's a README.MAIL in the
repository that describes some of the tricks one can play.

Cheers,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>
SUSE Labs, SUSE LINUX PRODUCTS GMBH