quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Question on integrating quilt with CVS

From: Thomas Vander Stichele
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Question on integrating quilt with CVS
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:13:12 +0100

Hi,

I've been using quilt for over a year, and have always been very happy
with it.

Recently I tried upgrading from 0.21 to 0.32 and got bitten by some
compatibility bugs.  Reading through the lists, it seems this is a known
issue and was intentional.  I worked around that by going to the old
quilt, popping all patches on all projects, then install the new one.

Today I ran into a more serious problem.  For one subproject of
GStreamer, we track an upstream CVS checkout and put patches on top of
it.  The upstream CVS checkout is a subdirectory inside a bigger module.
The bigger module has a working autotools setup.  The upstream checkout
has all the quilt patches applied and all quilt state commited to cvs as
well (so all .pc stuff).  You may wonder why :)

The reason is simple - I wanted to provide this bigger cvs module in
such a way that:
- normal users checking out from cvs have a working state representing
our patched copy
- developers that want to work on the quilt patches can pop and push
patches, and then commit both patches, state, and the changed source
tree to CVS

Arguably this is a particular requirement.  Anyway, with 0.21 this works
out perfectly.

Now, with 0.32, when popping patches, quilt starts removing all of the
CVS/ administrative dirs and files from the project source tree, which
causes the pop to fail.  Previously these CVS directories were ignored.

This means that I cannot find a good way to integrate quilt in our setup
while still satisfying the goals outlined above and allowing us to
separate patches so we can send them upstream.

Now the questions -
a) I've seen some mails wrt. CVS integration in quilt, and some people
have hinted at that they didn't even need it because they also work well
with CVS.  Anyone care to explain exactly how they work so I can get
some more ideas ?

b) What exactly changed that causes the patches to fail now with the
newer version, while it worked fine with the older version ?

Please CC: me as I'm not yet subscribed to the list.

Thanks
Thomas

ik kon liegen
ik kon jou bedriegen