quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] patch - list all changed files in all applied patches

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] patch - list all changed files in all applied patches
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:34:55 +0200

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 18:49, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> I often want to list all the modified files in all the applied patches.
> Sometimes I want to see all the patches currently applied to each file.
> The following simplifies some find/grep/awk/sort commandlines that I'm
> tired of using.
>
> The basics:
>
>   quilt files -a      # list all files in all applied patches
>   quilt files -l      # print [patchname] before listing filenames
>
> So, with these I have the following favorite commandlines:
>
>   quilt fi -al | sort +1      # Show all files in all applied patches,
>                               # and for each file list all patches that
>                               # affect it.
>
>   quilt fi -a | sort -u               # Show all files in all applied patches,
>                               # listing each file just once.
>
> And some people might like this one:
>
>   quilt fi -av                        # Show all files in all applied patches,
>                               # by patch.  Prints [patchname] as a header
>                               # before each set of files.

I like it. A worthwhile extension might be to also allow passing a range of
patches as in the diff command. For that, the first patch to include needs to
be specified, e.g.,

        --combine {patch|-}   =>   first patch

With ``--combine -'' being be the same as ``-a''.

Not sure whether putting patch names in brackets is necessarily a good idea --
having no delimiters would at least make scripting easier.

> I thought about making files.in do the filtering, too, but I was never
> happy with the code so I decided to leave the sort on the commandline.

Yes, I probably agree.

Thanks,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>