qpimd-users

[qpimd-users] pimd static igmp join problems

From: Klemen
Subject: [qpimd-users] pimd static igmp join problems
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 02:19:21 +0000 (UTC)

Hello.

I have browsed through all documentation and forums I could find, but did
not manage to find solution for my problem.

I would like to send multicast traffic from PC1 to PC4, through PC2 and PC3.
PC2 and PC3 run pimd, zebra and ospf. Unicast routes are ok and I can ping
any PC from any PC. I use msend and mreceive/mcfirst to test multicast traffic.

PC1 <-->   PC2   <-->   PC3   <--> PC4
eth0    eth0 eth1    eth1 eth0    eth0
msend      pimd         pimd       mreceive/mcfirst
           zebra        zebra
           ospf         ospf

PC1: 192.168.0.17
PC2: eth0: 192.168.0.1, eth1: 192.168.1.1
PC3: eth0: 192.168.2.1, eth1: 192.168.1.2
PC4: 192.168.2.27

I have checked that all interfaces are multicast enabled and contents of the
following files are as expected:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts

On PC2 I have enabled "igmp" and "pim ssm" on both interfaces.
On PC3 is the same but I added static igmp joins, like:
interface eth0
 ip igmp join 224.1.1.2 192.168.0.17

Question1:
 If I add static igmp joins to pimd config file, multicast does not work.
 If I add static igmp joins using vty, multicast start working?
 Can anyone explain me that, please?

Question2:
 Why do I have to add static joins on both interfaces for multicast to start
working? Shouldn't be join on eth0 enough?

Question3:
 Do I have to use static joins with pimd, or is there a way so I do not have
to? Forwarding of any-source group is not implemented, so probably not?

Question4:
 Is it possible to change pimd configuration in runtime by not using telnet
to 2611? For example, to be able to do it from a script?

Question5:
 Should I enable ip forwarding and interface multicast in zebra config?

Question6:
 Does anyone see what am I doing wrong here???

My pimd.conf on PC3 (on PC2 is the same, only without static joins):

!
hostname MyPimd
password pim
enable password pim