qemu-s390x

Re: [Q] how to pass an ISO to s390 qemu

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: [Q] how to pass an ISO to s390 qemu
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 17:02:07 +0200

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 16:55:56 +0300
Denis Kirjanov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to debug an issue and I have to setup 2 s390x VMs but I'm
> stuck on the step where I have to boot from an ISO image.
>
> That's the command line I use:
>
> qemu-system-s390x -machine s390-ccw-virtio -cpu max,zpci=on -serial
> telnet::4441,server -display none -m 4096 -net nic -net tap -boot d
> --cdrom SLE-12-SP4-Server-DVD-s390x-GM-DVD1.iso -kernel s390x-kernel

I see you pass in an iso here...

> -initrd s390x-initrd -drive
> file="sle12-sp4.img",if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0,format=raw,cache=none

...and an image here. Are these two different files?

> -device
> virtio-blk-ccw,devno=fe.0.0001,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0,bootindex=1,scsi=off
>
> The problem is that the installation program doesn't find the ISO image
> passed.

Hm. What does the guest actually end up seeing? Does it start up at
least as far as to give you some command line? If yes, can you check
what device nodes are created, and if it does not look like you'd
expect, what virtio-ccw devices are available? (lscss or looking under
/sys/bus/ccw/drivers/virtio_ccw/)