qemu-s390x

Re: [qemu-s390x] s390 qemu boot failure in -next

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: [qemu-s390x] s390 qemu boot failure in -next
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:49:28 +0200

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:36:33 +0200
Vasily Gorbik <address@hidden> wrote:

> This change has been done on purpose. Uncompressed image is not going
> to be bootable any more. In future the decompressor phase would get
> more function (early memory detection as an example) and there is no
> chance to duplicate that code in uncompressed image as well (to keep it
> bootable on its own). The patch series commit messages contain more
> technical details.
>
> For qemu either bzImage or arch/s390/boot/compressed/vmlinux should be
> used, which are bootable images.
>
> But that's really confusing that uncompressed vmlinux is still kind
> of booting. May be we should discuss how to avoid this confusion
> (may be change uncompressed image enty point to a function doing
> disabled wait with badb007 or smth) and how to encourage people to use
> arch/s390/boot/compressed/vmlinux instead.

So, the intention is that you can't boot the uncompressed image
anywhere? (Was it possible before, e.g. when punching the image under
z/VM?) If yes, it would make sense to explicitly fence it. But I'm
worried that it would break previously working setups (did we document
the purpose of the images anywhere?)