qemu-s390x

[qemu-s390x] network on linux qemu

From: Paulo Matos
Subject: [qemu-s390x] network on linux qemu
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 08:45:46 +0200

Hi,

I need to debug a bug report on a software I work on that's not
compiling on s390x. Since I have no access to a machine I thought I
could emulate it in qemu.

I have installed qemu-s390x on my F27 machine and downloaded the debian
images here:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-s390x/current/images/generic/

Then I ran:
qemu-system-s390x -M s390-ccw-virtio -kernel ~/Downloads/kernel.debian
-initrd ~/Downloads/initrd.debian -m 512 -nographic

I was quite surprised that it enters some sort of installation procedure
instead of giving me a shell I can work on -- but then again I have
never really used qemu before.

The command line is the minimal one taken from:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/S390X

As I enter the installation procedure and try to get the networking
setup all of the 4 options given fail. What's the easiest way to share
the host networking with the guest?

I really just need a linux prompt where I can use git, gcc and gdb.

Kind regards,

--
Paulo Matos