qemu-riscv

Re: [RFC 0/3] Introduce a new Qemu machine for RISC-V

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] Introduce a new Qemu machine for RISC-V
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:51:20 +0100

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 07:10:06PM -0700, Atish Patra wrote:

> The RISC-V virt machine has helped RISC-V software eco system to evolve at a
> rapid pace even in absense of the real hardware. It is definitely commendable.
> However, the number of devices & commandline options keeps growing as a result
> of that as well. That adds flexibility but will also become bit difficult
> to manage in the future as more extension support will be added. As it is the
> most commonly used qemu machine, it needs to support all kinds of device and
> interrupts as well. Moreover, virt machine has limitations on the maximum
> number of harts it can support because of all the MMIO devices it has to
> support.
>
> The RISC-V IMSIC specification allows to develop machines completely relying
> on MSI and don't care about the wired interrupts at all. It just requires
> all the devices to be present behind a PCI bus or present themselves as
> platform
> MSI device. The former is a more common scenario in x86 world where most
> of the devices are behind PCI bus. As there is very limited MMIO device
> support, it can also scale to very large number of harts.
>
> That's why, this patch series introduces a minimalistic yet very extensible
> forward looking machine called as "RISC-V Mini Computer" or "minic". The
> idea is to build PC or server like systems with this machine. The machine can
> work with or without virtio framework. The current implementation only
> supports RV64. I am not sure if building a RV32 machine would be of interest
> for such machines. The only mmio device it requires is clint to emulate
> the mtimecmp.

I would ask what you see as the long term future usage for 'virt' vs
'minic' machine types ? Would you expect all existing users of 'virt'
to ultimately switch to 'minic', or are there distinct non-overlapping
use cases for 'virt' vs 'minic' such that both end up widely used ?

Is 'minic' intended to be able to mimic real physical hardware at all,
or is it still intended as a purely virtual machine, like a 'virt-ng' ?

Essentially 'virt' was positioned as the standard machine to use if
you want to run a virtual machine, without any particular match to
physical hardware. It feels like 'minic' is creating a second machine
type to fill the same purpose, so how do users decide which to use ?

With regards,
Daniel