Re: Qemu / KVM On Powermac G5 MP970

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Qemu / KVM On Powermac G5 MP970
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 21:22:03 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023, Dan Whitehouse wrote:
I'm afraid waiting is not likely to make any progress as there are very few
people still interested in this and they are probably in the same situation as
you. So if you at least have free time for this then try to improve your skills
by reading and researching info on it or try to understand it deeper as the
worst thing that could happen is that you don't find out anything but maybe
still learn something. Don't just give up without even trying.

Well, the problem is that I don’t even know how to write “Hello World” in C without recourse to Google, and I suspect the Qemu / KVM / Kernel code is slightly more complex, but you never know, if I find myself with time on my hands I might see what I can come up with.

At this point it's not about writing code but to debug and understand the problem first which takes testing, experimenting and investigating it that anybody can do who can run it and willing to search for info and try to get to the bottom of the problem. If you can _read_ C code that's enough, no need to write it. (OK understanding QEMU is complex but you can always ask here if you have a specific question.) Once the problem is understood somebody will be able to come up with a patch you could test but that won't happen until you get the logs and info necessary to understand the problem. So you should read on how to enable KVM tracing in the kernel, how it works in general, etc. similar to the links I've sent and try to find what's happening when you run it. The actual problem may be before you get the error so it's more about debugging and investigating than coding so don't let that hold you back.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Hope it inspires you or somebody else interested in it to at least try to understand the problem better which may be all that's needed for somebody to make a fix eventually. So you need to help with the hard part of debugging it then those who know QEMU and the kernel can write the code needed but they can't do the debugging because they don't have the hardware, interest and time to do that so those who have these need contribute it.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan