QEMU-KVM offers OPAL firmware interface? OpenBSD guest support?

From: Joseph
Subject: QEMU-KVM offers OPAL firmware interface? OpenBSD guest support?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 14:21:15 +0000

Hi QEMU PPC emailing list!

(And maintainers https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/POWER )

https://www.openbsd.org/powerpc64.html says "OpenBSD/powerpc64 does
not run under a hypervisor such as PowerVM or PowerKVM".

QEMU-KVM is not listed here but I have heard no success report
anywhere, so I presume it doesn't work.

>From talking to people, I gather that the limit to running OpenBSD
as VM guest on POWER, is that it operates based on the OPAL firmware
interface, and for some reason previous VM:s did not export it. But
also, I may have gotten this detail wrong.
(https://www.talospace.com/2020/07/when-will-openpower-openbsd-be-now-now.html)

Watching the POWER QEMU Wiki page
https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/POWER
I don't see any mentioning of any of this .

Can you who work with QEMU POWER support help clarify, can OpenBSD
run as a QEMU-KVM guest - if so what are the steps to get it going -
and or are any updates to QEMU coming that will enable it?

Any cues much appreciated.

I brought up this same question on the OpenBSD PPC emailing list,
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=163006851125546&w=2 , waiting for
response.

Thanks!
Joseph