Re: e6500 stvx instruction

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: e6500 stvx instruction
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 02:16:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021, mario@locati.it wrote:
I tested QEMU 6.0 on a real e6500 with KVM enabled and it fails.
Not just that, it enter and infinite loop of kernel errors that completely hang
the system so I have to hardware reset.
At the following address you may find the serial output from my NXP T2080RDB
https://repo.powerprogress.org/t2080rdb/serial_output_real_e6500_NXP_T2080RDB_qemu_kvm.txt
I included in the serial output the compilation of QEMU 6.0 so you may check
what was enabled.
I run QEMU using the following command
sudo qemu-system-ppc64 -enable-kvm -M ppce500 -cpu e6500 \
-m 1G -vga none -nographic -kernel book3e_e6500_kernel_5.12.10 \
-append "root=/dev/vda1 rw" -drive \
format=qcow2,file=hdd_debian_sid_ppc64_basic.qcow2,index=0,if=virtio
The kernels, QCOW2 HDD image are all available from
https://repo.powerprogress.org/t2080rdb/

Please cut non-relevant old mails when replying and refrain from top posting if possible. That way it's more readable and clearer what's relevant.

I'm afraid I can't help because I don't know anything about PPC KVM. But I'm not that surprised it's not working becuase PPC Linux is not much used these days and what activity is there is mainly for PPC64LE on server CPUs. Probably it was a long time ago anybody tried BookE PPC so it could be it has bitrotten if it ever worked for e6500. I'm surprised it's working at all because I thought BookE KVM was dropped from latest kernels. It's not clear to me what the warnings you got mean, maybe look in system logs if there are more details there and ask on the appropriate Linux list. I'm not sure which is that but this looks like it might be the place: http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#kvm-ppc

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan