Re: [for-6.0 v5 11/13] spapr: PEF: prevent migration

From: Christian Borntraeger
Subject: Re: [for-6.0 v5 11/13] spapr: PEF: prevent migration
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:25:21 +0100

On 14.01.21 15:15, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 03:09:01PM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>>

>> On 14.01.21 15:04, Cornelia Huck wrote:

>>> Yes, an explicit config is what we want; unfortunately, we have to deal
>>> with existing setups as well...
>>>
>>> The options I see are
>>> - leave things for existing setups as they are now (i.e. might become
>>>   unmigratable when the guest transitions), and make sure we're doing
>>>   the right thing with the new object
>>> - always make the unpack feature conflict with migration requirements;
>>>   this is a guest-visible change
>>>
>>> The first option might be less hairy, all considered?
>>
>> What about a libvirt change that removes the unpack from the host-model as
>> soon as  only-migrateable is used. When that is in place, QEMU can reject
>> the combination of only-migrateable + unpack.
>
> I think libvirt needs to just unconditionally remove unpack from host-model
> regardless, and require an explicit opt in. We can do that in libvirt
> without compat problems, because we track the expansion of "host-model"
> for existing running guests.

This is true for running guests, but not for shutdown and restart.

I would really like to avoid bad (and hard to debug) surprises that a guest
boots
fine with libvirt version x and then fail with x+1. So at the beginning
I am fine with libvirt removing "unpack" from the default host model expansion
if the --only-migrateable parameter is used. Now I look into libvirt and I
cannot actually find code that uses this parameter. Are there some patches
posted somewhere?