"-cdrom tiger.iso" doesn't work but "-cdrom /dev/cdrom" does

From: Jason Pepas
Subject: "-cdrom tiger.iso" doesn't work but "-cdrom /dev/cdrom" does
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 00:58:09 -0500

Hey there,

I'm using qemu (5.0.0) to run OS X Tiger (ppc) on an x86_64 Macbook pro, and I ran into a strange issue with the Tiger installation DVD.

The issue I'm running into is that if I pass "-cdrom tiger.iso", it fails to boot with "No valid state has been set by load or init-program".

However, if I burn tiger.iso to a physical DVD and then pass "-cdrom /dev/cdrom", it boots up just fine, and I can install OS X.

I then re-ripped the DVD to an iso (using dd), and it matches the MD5 sum of the original iso, so I know there's no problem with the iso file.

I've been able to replicate this with more than one Tiger iso image.

What could be causing this disparity?  If I can boot from /dev/cdrom, it seems like the iso file should work.

Thanks!
Jason Pepas