Re: About hardfloat in ppc

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: About hardfloat in ppc
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 20:33:58 +0100

罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo) <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 10:18 PM Richard Henderson <
> address@hidden> wrote:

>> can
>> then
>> for

>> store
>> >
>> > I think that's getting a little ahead of yourself. Let's prove the
>> > technique is valuable for PPC (given it has the most to gain). We can
>> > always generalise later if it's worthwhile.
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>> > Rather than creating a new structure I would suggest creating 3 new tcg
>> > globals (op, inA, inB) and re-factor the front-end code so each FP op
>> > loaded the TCG globals. The TCG optimizer should pick up aliased loads
>> > and automatically eliminate the dead ones. We might need some new
>> > machinery for the TCG to avoid spilling the values over potentially
>> > faulting loads/stores but that is likely a phase 2 problem.
>>
>> There's no point in new tcg globals.
>>
>> Every fp operation can raise an exception, and therefore every fp operation
>> will flush tcg globals to memory.  Therefore there is no optimization to be
>> done at the tcg opcode level.
>>
>> However, every fp operation calls a helper function, and the quickest
>> thing to
>> do is store the inputs to env->(op, inA, inB, inC) in the helper before
>> performing the operation.
>>
> I thinks there is a possibility to add the tcg ops to optimize the floating
> point; For example
> WebAssembly doesn't support for float point exception and fp round mode at
> all, I suppose most fp execution are no need care about
>  round mode  and fp expcetion, and for this path we can use tcg-op to
> abstract it,
> and for all other condition we can downgrading to soft-float. As a final
> path to optmize to fp accel of
> QEMU, we can split the tcg-op into two path. one is hard-float with result
> cache for lazy fp flags calculating
> And one is pure soft-float path.

We have talked about adding support for floating point TCG ops in the
past but I think we would need to be a fair bit farther down the road
before we can attempt that. The overhead of the helper call is
relatively minimal compared to that of the executing the operation
itself. As you can see from all the various front end wrappings around
the softfloat code there is a fair amount of implementation details
you'd need to abstract away into the TCG generation code to make it
useful for all our guests.

> For lazy fp flags calculating, cause we have stick flags
> ```
>     float_flag_invalid   =  1,
>     float_flag_divbyzero =  4,
>     float_flag_overflow  =  8,
>     float_flag_underflow = 16,
>     float_flag_inexact   = 32,
> ```
> We can skip the calculation of these flags when these flags are already
> marked to 1.
> For these five flags, we can split to 5 calculating function, One function
> only check one of the flags.
> And once the flags are set to 1, then we won't call the functon any more,
> unless the flag are cleared.
> We will reduce a lot of branch prediction. And the function would only be
> called when the
> fp flags are requested.
> This is my final goal to optimize fp in QEMU, before that, we can do
> simpler things to optimize fp in QEMU
>
> And besides these type of optimization, we can also offloading the fp
> exception calculating to other CPU core, so
> we can making single threading performance be better, cause single core
> performance are hard to improve, but multiple core
> system are more and more used in these days, for Ryzen 2/ Threadripper we
> even have 64-core /128 threads.

I would take some convincing that offloading exception calculation to
another thread would make a difference - surely there would be
inter-thread syncing required? Our main approach to threading has been
trying to improve scalability for softmmu so we can emulate more vCPUs
in the system.

--
Alex Bennée