Re: R: R: About hardfloat in ppc

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: R: R: About hardfloat in ppc
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 19:25:30 +0100

Dino Papararo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Alex,
<snip>

> I leave to you TCG's experts how it works and how to implement it, I'm
> only tryng to explain a possible fast way to go (if ever possible) 😊

This is all a theoretical discussion unless someone cares enough to
improve the situation. While I have an interest in improving TCG
performance I'm afraid there are many more easier wins before tackling a
target specific hack for which I'm not familiar. No doubt this thread
will be referred to next time someone wants something done about it.

> ..Large majority of software don't check for exceptions at all and if
> I really want to pursue max precision I'll go for a software
> multiprecision library like GMP or MPFR Libraries.

However for QEMU we regard failure to correctly emulate the architecture
as a bug - we don't code to common software patterns because there is
plenty of software out there that doesn't follow it.

> So the hardfloats 'should' be set as first choice and only if
> instruction requires precision/error check process it in softfloats.

Sure but someone will have to do the work to support that.

--
Alex Bennée