Re: Issue observed when tried to launch qemu for ppc

From: Murali Krishna
Subject: Re: Issue observed when tried to launch qemu for ppc
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 12:16:46 +0530

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
The qemu is getting launched with out any issues if we use the below options.

Qemu command line options:
qemu-system-ppc \
        -nodefconfig -no-user-config -nodefaults -no-reboot \
        -nographic \
        -serial stdio \
        -M mac99 \

      -m 2047 \
        -net nic,model=virtio,macaddr=$macaddr -net user$QEMU_HOSTFWD \
        -drive file=powerpc-qemu.img,if=virtio,index=0,format=qcow2 \
        -drive file=scratch.img,if=virtio,index=1,format=qcow2 \
        -virtfs local,id=work,path=`pwd`,security_model=none,mount_tag=work \
        -boot menu=off -kernel ppcqemu-vmlinux-stable

The issue is getting observed only when we pass -cpu option. If the issue is with the firmware then it should be observed in the above case as well.
Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna Ch

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 5:36 PM BALATON Zoltan <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, Murali Krishna wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
> I tried to launch the qemu with ref405ep and got the below error.
>

> [osman@osci ~]$ qemu-system-ppc -nodefconfig -no-user-config -nodefaults
> -no-reboot -nographic -serial stdio -cpu 405D2 -machine ref405ep -m 2047
> -net nic,model=virtio,macaddr=$macaddr -net user$QEMU_HOSTFWD -drive
> file=powerpc-qemu.img,if=virtio,index=0,format=qcow2 -drive
> file=scratch.img,if=virtio,index=1,format=qcow2 -virtfs
> local,id=work,path=`pwd`,security_model=none,mount_tag=work -boot menu=off
> -kernel ppcqemu-vmlinux-stable
> qemu-system-ppc: Could not load PowerPC BIOS 'ppc405_rom.bin'
> [osman@osci ~]$
> [osman@osci ~]$ qemu-system-ppc -nodefconfig -no-user-config -nodefaults
> -no-reboot -nographic -serial stdio -machine ref405ep -m 2047 -net
> nic,model=virtio,macaddr=$macaddr -net user$QEMU_HOSTFWD -drive
> file=powerpc-qemu.img,if=virtio,index=0,format=qcow2 -drive
> file=scratch.img,if=virtio,index=1,format=qcow2 -virtfs
> local,id=work,path=`pwd`,security_model=none,mount_tag=work -boot menu=off
> -kernel ppcqemu-vmlinux-stable
> qemu-system-ppc: Could not load PowerPC BIOS 'ppc405_rom.bin'
> [osman@osci ~]$
>
> Same error message is observed even with "taihu" as well.

It seems this file was never included in QEMU, probably has a non-free
licence. Looks like you either need a firmware from a real board or look
at the source to see why it tries to load firmware even with the -kernel
option is used. Maybe it needs some init normally done by the firmware
that needs to be implemented?

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

--