Re: Missing PVR setting capability

From: Wayne Li
Subject: Re: Missing PVR setting capability
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 11:24:00 -0500

If I run "lsmod | grep kvm" nothing shows up but if I just do a "find . -name "kvm"" I get the following:

./usr/src/kernel/Documentation/virtual/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/arm/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/arm64/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/mips/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/powerpc/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/s390/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/tile/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/arch/x86/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/drivers/s390/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/include/config/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/include/config/have/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/include/kvm
./usr/src/kernel/virt/kvm
./dev/kvm
./sys/devices/virtual/misc/kvm
./sys/class/misc/kvm
./sys/kernel/debug/kvm
./sys/module/kvm

I guess this shows my OS does have KVM on it?  I added the two flags you mentioned when running QEMU (the -cpu and the -machine flags) but the -cpu flag doesn't seem like it's doing anything as even when I put a clearly wrong argument after the flag no error related to the cpu is thrown.  Also it says ppce500 is not a machine type and that the supported machines are:

bamboo               bamboo
boeing-machine       Boeing Machine
none                 empty machine
ref405ep             ref405ep
taihu                taihu
virtex-ml507         Xilinx Virtex ML507 reference design

The one being used right now is boeing-machine which is clearly specific to the project I am working on.  I'm not exactly sure what boeing-machine refers to but I'll ask the person who wrote the code that specified that machine,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 2:04 AM Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
On 21/10/2019 23.06, Wayne Li wrote:
> Dear Qemu list members,
>
> I'm attempting to enable KVM in a Qemu-based project that is running on
> a T4240RDB board.  After compiling my code with the -enable-kvm option I
> ran the qemu executable with the -enable-kvm option.  The application
> exited with the following error message: "kvm error: missing PVR setting
> capability."  What are some possibilities causing this error?

That's an e6500 bas PPC board, isn't it? ... I guess nobody has been
running KVM on such a system in a while...

What do you get when running "lsmod | grep kvm" ? How did you run QEMU?
I think you have to make sure to run with the right CPU model ("-cpu
e6500") and machine (likely "-M ppce500" ?).

 Thomas