Re: [RFC] error: auto propagated local_err

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [RFC] error: auto propagated local_err
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 07:58:45 -0500

On 9/19/19 10:50 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> To get some slightly less made-up stats, I did some searching:
>
>   - 4408  methods with an 'errp' parameter declared
>
>      git grep 'Error \*\*errp'|  wc -l
>
>   - 696 methods with an 'Error *local' declared (what other names
>     do we use for this?)
>
>      git grep 'Error \*local' | wc -l

Covers 'local' and 'local_err'.  We also have:

git grep 'Error \*err\b' | wc -l
553

So 1249 local errors.

>   - 1243 methods with an 'errp' parameter which have void
>     return value (fuzzy number - my matching is quite crude)
>
>      git grep 'Error \*\*errp'|  grep -E '(^| )void' | wc -l
>
>   - 11 methods using error_append_hint with a local_err
>
>      git grep append_hint | grep local | wc -l
>

> This suggests to me, that if we used the 'return 0 / return -1' convention
> to indicate failure for the methods which currently return void, we could
> potentially only have 11 cases where a local error object is genuinely
> needed.
>
> If my numbers are at all accurate, I still believe we're better off
> changing the return type and eliminating essentially all use of local
> error variables, as void funcs/local error objects appear to be the
> minority coding pattern.

When relying on a return value, you do have to check whether a negative
return value happens if and only if errp is set; that's something that's
harder for code grepping to spot.  I'm not opposed to that coding
pattern, just pointing out that it requires some semantic analysis,
while MAKE_ERRP_SAFE() coupled with checking *errp is easier to prove at
a glance that the check for whether an error happened is 1:1 associated
with whether an error is reported.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226