Re: [Qemu-ppc] R: Booting Lubuntu 16.04 on qemu-system-ppc produces erro

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] R: Booting Lubuntu 16.04 on qemu-system-ppc produces errors
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 13:58:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019, luigi burdo wrote:
the issue on the color on Linux PPC with ati/radeon/amd was present from 3.x
kernel.
the only way for have right colors on real hardware is the use of the fbdev with 8/16 bit colors or use a real X86 gpu on another pcie slot as second gpu, plus there are many issue with linux and colors (mesa too) on powerpc with X86 gpu too .

There might be multiple problems with Linux drivers so it's hard to test emulation with them. I need known working image to know that what I see is not caused by driver bugs but insufficient emulation. With all those problems also present on real hardware this is not easy to know without real hardware to try it.

Ubuntu MATE 15.10 amdgpu driver on PowerMac G5 with RadeonHD 4650
the last opensource X11 video driver for X11 amdgpu is start working on quad g5

I'm not sure this is relevant here because amdgpu driver is too new for the emulated ati-vga. We're talking about r128 and radeon drivers here which may have their own bugs but those are all that may be working with ati-vga. The amdgpu driver is for newer cards that are different architecture so not emulated and not planned in this emulation so it's not really relevant if that works or not on real hardware.