Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu ppc issues installing/booting Mac OS 9.04 to 9.22

From: Howard Spoelstra
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu ppc issues installing/booting Mac OS 9.04 to 9.22
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 07:14:45 +0200

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:34 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 07/09/16 23:12, Howard Spoelstra wrote:
>
> Hi Howard,
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here are some issues I observed while installing/booting Mac OS 9.04 to
>> 9.22 with Qemu.
>
> Thanks for the report!
>
>> Generic issues:
>> Besides changing -boot d to -boot c, the command line order for cdrom or
>> disk needs to be so that the boot device is listed first, otherwise
>> openbios will not advance to boot the selected medium. Adding index
>> number 0 to hd and 1 to cdrom entries also fixes boot, so boot device
>> seems to need to be at index 0.
>
> Possibly I think this might be related to the macio controller: at least
> from memory OS 9 seemed picky if you stray from the default hd index=0
> and CDROM index=1. In my testing OS X didn't seem to mind quite so much.

I just tried with an OSX build. it exhibits the same problem.

>> Mouse behaviour with both SDL and GTK interface is often very erratic.
>
> Hmmm I've heard reports of this but have been unable to reproduce
> locally with GTK. Can you provide any more information?

I now also ran Qemu in Linux in a virtual machine. GTK mouse seems reasonably
stable, but double-click speed is almost undoable.
With SDL, the mouse jumps into a corner and I get it only to jump into another
corner. The effect seem stronger on slower machines.

Subsequent test with an OSX SDL build shows the same jumps and strange
selection behaviour after selecting some desktop items and moving them around,
as if I was holding the mouse button pressed.

>> Source: qemu master 07-09-2016
>> qemu-system-ppc.exe cross-compiled for Windows using Fedora 24 64 bit.
>> qemu-system-ppc.exe needs to be set to Windows 8/7 compatibility,
>> otherwise disk read/write issues arise. (The same is true for builds
>> with cygwin, and the 2.7 Windows builds by Stefan Weil.)
>
> Interesting. What does setting Windows 7/8 compatibility actually do?
> Are there any errors on the console if you don't do this? I don't use
> Windows these days, so I'm probably the wrong person to dig into Windows
> issues.

Windows provides shims that catch calls to older functions in the newer dll’s
based on the compatibility level set for the executable.

> AFAICT there are two main sets of CPU fixes for OS 9: the first is Ben's
> initial set of patches in ppc-for-2.8 which has just been applied, and
> the second is Richard's TCG updates for which a pending pull request is
> waiting.
>
> Also there are some related interrupt tweaks in OpenBIOS to match Ben's
> changes which may make a difference, and they should come in with the
> next OpenBIOS update - once the context work is in, I'll send a pull
> request to update the QEMU binaries. When all this is done please test
> again and report back :)
>
> ATB,
>
> Mark.

Ha, I selected these issues as they are still present in builds from various
branches of newer code (ben’s wip, vga) and OpenBIOS (context, busmaster).

Best wishes,
Howard