Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 05/23] ppc: Enforce setting MSR:EE, IR

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 05/23] ppc: Enforce setting MSR:EE, IR and DR when MSR:PR is set
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 23:30:28 -0400

On Jul 11, 2016, at 2:37 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

> On 11/07/16 15:42, Programmingkid wrote:
>
>>> Hmmm if that's the same 9.2.1 image we were using for last year's GSoC
>>> then it has been working fine here? From what I've seen both 9.2.1 and
>>> 9.2.2 now boot fine, but please test and report if that's not the case.
>>>
>> I tried the Mac OS 9.2.1 iso and it does not boot. I used only your patch
>> set.
>
> On top of git master? In that case you still need Ben's patch to fix odd
> MSR combinations:
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-07/msg02066.html.

Thank you for this.

>> I would also like to report that I could not make networking work on Mac OS
>> 9.0.4. I tried both the usb-net and rtl8139 nics. This is the command-line I
>> used: -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device usb-net,netdev=mynet0 and -netdev
>> user,id=mynet0 -device rtl8139,netdev=mynet0.
>
> This seems to be slightly lacking as a bug report - does the NIC appear
> in the device tree, which drivers have you used, any relevant logs etc.?
> Anyhow it's probably worth spinning this out to a separate thread.

The USB NIC is not recognized by Mac OS 9.0.4. The RTL8139 is recognized but
does not appear to be fully functional. DHCP does not work.

I am pleased to announce that this patch set fixes the problem of Mac OS 9
preventing QEMU from shutting down. Restarting Mac OS 9 does still cause QEMU
to display a blank black screen.