Re: [Qemu-ppc] KVM memory slots limit on powerpc

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] KVM memory slots limit on powerpc
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 12:04:41 +0200

On 04.09.15 11:59, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> Am 04.09.2015 um 11:35 schrieb Thomas Huth:
>>
>>  Hi all,
>>
>> now that we get memory hotplugging for the spapr machine on qemu-ppc,
>> too, it seems like we easily can hit the amount of KVM-internal memory
>> slots now ("#define KVM_USER_MEM_SLOTS 32" in
>> arch/powerpc/include/asm/kvm_host.h). For example, start
>> qemu-system-ppc64 with a couple of "-device secondary-vga" and "-m
>> 4G,slots=32,maxmem=40G" and then try to hot-plug all 32 DIMMs ... and
>> you'll see that it aborts way earlier already.
>>
>> The x86 code already increased the amount of KVM_USER_MEM_SLOTS to 509
>> already (+3 internal slots = 512) ... maybe we should now increase the
>> amount of slots on powerpc, too? Since we don't use internal slots on
>> POWER, would 512 be a good value? Or would less be sufficient, too?
>
> When you are at it, the s390 value should also be increased I guess.

That constant defines the array size for the memslot array in struct kvm
which in turn again gets allocated by kzalloc, so it's pinned kernel
memory that is physically contiguous. Doing big allocations can turn
into problems during runtime.

So maybe there is another way? Can we extend the memslot array size
dynamically somehow? Allocate it separately? How much memory does the
memslot array use up with 512 entries?

Alex