[Qemu-ppc] qemu-ppc config questions

From: Bill Toner
Subject: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-ppc config questions
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:05:48 -0400

Hi All,

I am just learning about configuring and using qemu, and in particular qemu-ppc. I'd like to install Linux with graphics support (for KDE guest) and 7455 CPU emulation, with the vmware and cirrus vga cores selectable at boot, and using vfio on KVM.

I've followed instructions at the following link to get my x86_64 host running Kubuntu 14.04 set up with KVM, and have one PCI-Express device flagged for pci-stub as my initial test.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multiheaded-NVIDIA-Gaming-using-Ubuntu-14-04-KVM-585/

I've downloaded DVD install iso for
debian-7.6.0-powerpc-DVD-1.iso and connceted this on the virtual cdrom drive.

Running qemu-system-ppc does not seem to like -vga cirrus or vmware, saying they are not available.

Leaving out -vga flag seems to start booting, but seems to hang on a message saying that the guest has not started the graphics yet.

I compiled my qemu install from 2.1.1 source tarball on download site using this configuration:
./configure --prefix=/opt/qemu --enable-modules --audio-drv-list=alsa --enable-gtk --enable-vnc --enable-virtfs --enable-curses --enable-fdt --enable-kvm --enable-tcg-interpreter --enable-system

And my run script looks like this (I have not yet uncommented the vfio stuff fromt he webpage above, as I'd like to see an OS install before getting too fancy)

sudo /opt/qemu/bin/qemu-system-ppc -m 4096 -cpu 7455 -M prep \
-bios /opt/qemu/share/qemu/openbios-ppc \
-drive file=/media/sf_vbh_drive_f/documents/shared/Emulation/Qemu/HardDrives/Qemu_Kubuntu_ppcL_isQguestOS.vmdk,id=disk,format=vmdk \
-drive file=/media/sf_vbh_drive_f/documents/shared/Emulation/isos/debian-7.6.0-powerpc-DVD-1.iso,id=isocd  \
-boot menu=on

As an alternative config possibility, is the  "PowerPC 440EP (alias for 440EPb)" cpu option the AMCC/Appliedmicro 440ep SoC, or some other 440 class item?

Does anyone have comments or advice on my intended configuration, or suggestions of a better config approach? I'd like a desktop style PPC Linux OS without it being too much of a Mac (uninorth and such).