Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:32:47 +0000

On 27/02/14 21:24, BALATON Zoltan wrote:

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
Also I've found that the MorphOS kernel looks for a device within /pci
with a class-code == 0x0780 (other communication device) for a serial
port where it may display some debug info. Unfortunately there is no
such device on QEMU. Is there an easy way to add one? Can someone
verify if this is present on Mac

Just to document it somewhere: it seems that more exactly it looks for a
pci device with a class-code of either 0x078000 or 0x070002 to use as a
16550 compatible serial port for debugging. The easiest seems to be
using QEMU's serial-pci device with a patch to add the missing Prog I/F
code and a patch to openbios to add it to the class-code property.
Patches are sent to the appropriate lists, but the openbios list seems
to be dead (or moderation is dead slow)... With these patches the
MorphOS boot loader detects the serial port but haven't seen any output
on it yet, maybe because it dies shortly after this during CPU init but
I don't know yet why.

The OpenBIOS list moderator is currently set to Stefan I believe, and he generally pushes the moderation queue once every few months. So it's definitely best to subscribe if you want your posts to be delivered :)

ATB,

Mark.