Re: [Qemu-ppc] KVM and variable-endianness guest CPUs

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] KVM and variable-endianness guest CPUs
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:29:03 +0000

On 22 January 2014 17:19, Victor Kamensky <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 22 January 2014 02:22, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>> but the major issue here is that the data being
>> transferred is not just a bag of bytes. The data[]
>> array plus the size field are being (mis)used to indicate
>> that the memory transaction is one of:
>>  * an 8 bit access
>>  * a 16 bit access of some uint16_t value
>>  * a 32 bit access of some uint32_t value
>>  * a 64 bit access of some uint64_t value
>>
>> exactly as a CPU hardware bus would do. It's
>> because the API is defined in this awkward way with
>> a uint8_t[] array that we need to specify how both
>> sides should go from the actual properties of the
>> memory transaction (value and size) to filling in the
>> array.
>
> While responding to Alex last night, I found, I think,
> easiest and shortest way to think about mmio.data[]
>
> Just for discussion reference here it is again
>                 struct {
>                         __u64 phys_addr;
>                         __u8  data[8];
>                         __u32 len;
>                         __u8  is_write;
>                 } mmio;
> I believe that in all cases it should be interpreted
> in the following sense
>    byte data[0] goes into byte at phys_addr + 0
>    byte data[1] goes into byte at phys_addr + 1
>    byte data[2] goes into byte at phys_addr + 2
>    and so on up to len size
>
> Basically if it would be on real bus, get byte value
> that corresponds to phys_addr + 0 address place
> it into data[0], get byte value that corresponds to
> phys_addr + 1 address place it into data[1], etc.

This just isn't how real buses work. There is no
"address + 1, address + 2". There is a single address
for the memory transaction and a set of data on
data lines and some separate size information.
How the device at the far end of the bus chooses
to respond to 32 bit accesses to address X versus
8 bit accesses to addresses X through X+3 is entirely
its own business and unrelated to the CPU. (It would
be perfectly possible to have a device which when
you read from address X as 32 bits returned 0x12345678,
when you read from address X as 16 bits returned
0x9abc, returned 0x42 for an 8 bit read from X+1,
and so on. Having byte reads from X..X+3 return
values corresponding to parts of the 32 bit access
is purely a convention.)

> Note nowhere in my above description I've talked
> about endianity of anything: device, access (E bit),
> KVM host, guest, hypervisor. All these endianities
> are irrelevant to mmio interface.

As soon as you try to think of the mmio.data as a set
of bytes then you have to specify some endianness to
the data, so that both sides (kernel and userspace)
know how to reconstruct the actual data value from the
array of bytes.

>> Furthermore, device endianness is entirely irrelevant
>> for deciding the properties of mmio.data[], because the
>> thing we're modelling here is essentially the CPU->bus
>> interface. In real hardware, the properties of individual
>> devices on the bus are irrelevant to how the CPU's
>> interface to the bus behaves, and similarly here the
>> properties of emulated devices don't affect how KVM's
>> interface to QEMU userspace needs to work.
>
> As far as mmio interface concerned I claim that any
> endianity is irrelevant here. I am utterly lost about
> endianity of what you care about?

I care about knowing which end of mmio.data is the
least significant byte, obviously.

> Consider
> the following ARM code snippets:
>
> setend le
> mov r1, #0x04030201
> str r1, [r0]
>
> and
>
> setend be
> mov r1, #0x01020304
> str r1, [r0]
>
> when above snippets are executed memory bus
> sees absolutely the same thing, can you tell by
> looking at this memory transaction what endianity
> is it? And endianity of what? I can't.

That is correct. That is because the value sent out on
the bus from the CPU is always the same: it says
"32 bit transaction, value 0x04030201, address $whatever".

> The only thing you can tell by looking at this bus
> memory transaction is that 0x01 byte value goes at
> r0 address, 0x02 byte value goes at r0 + 1 address,
> etc.

No, this part is absolutely wrong, see above.

thanks
-- PMM