Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of MacOS boot support

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of MacOS boot support
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:46:14 +0100

On 25.11.2012, at 21:32, Vincent Habchi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 25 nov. 2012, at 21:24, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Currently OpenBIOS can't boot Mac OS X. We have made progress in the last
>> few months. It starts to boot, but stops before it gets very far. My report
>> only pertains to the PowerPC versions, so I don't know about the x86
>> versions.
>
> PowerPC is indeed what I am interested in.

You can always give mac-on-Linux a try if you have a real PowerPC around. It
also uses (a hacked up version of) OpenBIOS, but comes with its own (hacked up
version of) BootX.

> In my case, I just can’t get beyond the OpenBIOS prompt: I can’t seem to have
> BootX loaded and launched. How do you prepare your bootable image?
>
> Thereafter, I could see if the open sourced version of MacOS gets further
> than the commercial kit.
>
> Thanks for your answer!
> Vincent
>
> PS: I assume the problem lies in the way hardware is emulated, isn’t it?

Yes and no. At the point things are now upstream, we are very far from hardware
emulation problems. It's all firmware.

However, even if we get beyond that point, the default machibe emulated by QEMU
was stopped to be supported by OSX back in 10.3 ;).

But one thing at a time. Getting the firmware working is certainly the more
important bit. The next step would be to fix -M mac99 to actually behave like a
real Mac.

Alex