Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] Compiling qemu to emulate AMCC's PPC440GX ev

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [Qemu-devel] Compiling qemu to emulate AMCC's PPC440GX eval board
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 14:12:51 +0100

On 03/11/2012 09:03, Peter Teoh wrote:
> Can I know if it is possible to run software which were running on AMCC
> PPC440GX eval board (eg, LynxOS) on qemu emulator?   I can see a lot of
> 440GX symbols inside QEMU source code, but no where can I find someone who
> has done it successfully.   Even "qemu-system-ppc -cpu ?" does not return
> "440GX" as one of the supported CPU.   Neither does "qemu-system-ppc -M ?"
> return the board that support 440GX (for example Taishan or Ocotea board).

AFAIK most embedded board definitions only have enough support to boot
Linux, but not their own firmware or other OSes. Many onchip devices
required to use the firmware are missing, and the only direct kernel

For my Haiku Sam460ex port I started writing a sam460ex target but it's
not published yet nor finished.
It can start our own bootloader faking a Linux kernel, and has enough
faked onchip devices to start the U-Boot image but doesn't get far yet
inside it.

François.