Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu boot device precedence over nvram boot-device settin

From: Avik Sil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu boot device precedence over nvram boot-device setting
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:14:45 +0530

I looked at the bootindex stuff and found that when the bootindex is
specified for the disk and cdrom it generates a string like:

"/spapr-vio-bridge/spapr-vscsi/address@hidden/address@hidden,1
/spapr-vio-bridge/spapr-vscsi/address@hidden/address@hidden,0"

Ok, so I've just started looking at the bootindex stuff.  What
function is generating these strings?

get_boot_devices_list gives you the above

We should also be able to get the raw bootindex values for a qdev,
yes?  I was thinking we could instead copy those values into the
device tree when we populate it.  The trouble is that we don't
actually generate (in qemu) nodes for individual disks under a vscsi,
or for individual PCI devices under the host bridge (that's done by
SLOF).  Still thinking...

An aside, I'm thinking that once we do get bootindex working, then
boot devices specified in NVRAM should have priority below all devices
with explicit supplied bootindex, but above any that don't.  Does that
seem right to you?

Even if the bootindex is taken care, there is still -boot that has to be
handled. Or we just need to drop -boot handling? In that case what
should we look at when there is no boot-index and nothing in nvram.

Perhaps the default boot order "disk cdrom" should be taken care of if none of bootindex, -boot and nvram boot-device is provided.

Regards
Nikunj

Regards,
Avik