Re: [Qemu-ppc] [OpenBIOS] FreeBSD powerpc issue

From: Segher Boessenkool
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [OpenBIOS] FreeBSD powerpc issue
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:43:50 +0200

How do I flush the TLB?

tlbie, and perhaps tlbsync.

The QEMU TLB only caches existing translations, never misses.

I'm not sure what you mean here?  No PowerPC hardware that I know of
stores a "this address doesn't go anywhere" tag in the TLB, either
(I don't think the architecture allows that even).

I also don't see what it has to do with the problem.  The scenario
what we think is happening: the CPU has translations for the OF code
space in its TLB, because it has run it before.  The kernel removes
the translations but doesn't do TLBIE on those.  On real hardware,
the TLB entries are still used.  What does QEMU do?

Segher