Re: [Qemu-ppc] Problem booting qemu-system-ppc with cpu e500XX and machi

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Problem booting qemu-system-ppc with cpu e500XX and machine mpc8544ds
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:49:25 +0200

On 29.06.2012, at 14:13, Badrinath Sriman wrote:

> Hi,
> I have downloaded the latest qemu source code qemu-1.1.0-1.tar.bz2 and
> compiled it in my host (x86/ubuntu combination) to generate qemu-system-ppc.
> I just used configure with the --target-list = ppc-softmmu option. I am
> trying to emulate a netbsd/P2020 platform combination as a guest. The problem
> is when I run the following command:
>
> qemu-system-ppc -cpu e500v2 -m mpc8544ds -cdrom <my_bootable.iso) -boot d,

This needs to be -M. -m is used to specify the amount of memory you pass into a
guest. -M picks the emulated machine model.

> it immediately goes directly to the qemu monitor window. The guest VM or
> terminal emulation window is not at all appearing. Hence, I guess that there
> is a problem in qemu starting the guest, even before loading the guest
> kernel. Could you please let me know whether I am missing something?

Currently, the mpc8544ds machine doesn't execute u-boot, but can only call into
guest kernels directly through -kernel and -initrd. I haven't tried to run
NetBSD yet, so also expect things to be slightly bumpy :).

> If I start qemu-system-ppc without the -cpu and -m option, then there are
> problems while booting the netbsd kernel. Looks like an "SPR invalid access
> to 48" is got. The SPR 48 register is the process id register in e500 based
> cores. I assumed therefore that the SPR register no: 48 is not emulated in
> the default qemu-system-ppc (without the cpu and machine options) and so
> tried with the above cpu and machine options.

The default machine on qemu-system-ppc when not passing in -M is g3beige, which
can not properly run an e500 NetBSD kernel :).

Alex