Re: [Qemu-ppc] [HelenOS-devel] Regression in ppc-softmmu when running He

From: Martin Sucha
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [HelenOS-devel] Regression in ppc-softmmu when running HelenOS
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:24:32 +0100

On Saturday 17 March 2012 19:42:43 Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On 17/03/12 18:09, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> > I also see from your patch that VISUAL_RGB_5_5_5_BE is also specified
> > for a bit-depth of 16: however once again HelenOS refuses to boot with
> > "-g 800x600x16" specified on the QEMU command line so perhaps this is
> > not a correct assumption?
>
> Actually - don't worry about that. Even when passing QEMU a bit-depth of
> 16 on the command line, it seems to be clamped internally to 15. It is
> possible to override it back to 16 using a debugger, and that boots
> HelenOS fine albeit with a lovely blue tinge ;)  I suspect that's
> because of the bit alignments similar to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Color.
Note that HelenOS kernel output is supposed to be yellow text on blue
background (the kernel output is shown before user space console overtakes the
framebuffer).

I've uploaded a screenshot of early HelenOS kernel output at
http://ho.st.dcs.fmph.uniba.sk/~mato/helenos/snapshot5.png
(the white banner at the top scrolls out when more text is printed and may be
visible only during a very short period of time when run with acceleration)

Is this what you see?

Regards,
Martin Sucha