Re: Accelerator in ARM-based macOS

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Accelerator in ARM-based macOS
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:43:08 +0100

Hi Serdar,

On 26/2/24 11:33, Serdar Bahar wrote:
Hello,

I'm a newbie in QEMU and I'm using it on an Apple Silicon macOS (ARM-based). I use the default accelerator tcg to run a virtual machine with Ubuntu but it is quite slow. I tried commands like "-enable-kvm" or "-accel xyz"  but every one of them (except tcg) returned the message "invalid accelerator" (I guess none of them are compatible with an ARM-based macOS). Do you have any suggestions for me to have a faster experience in my virtual machine? Again, I'm very new to QEMU and I'm trying it because other options are either not compatible with my computer or are paid and I apologize if my question barely makes sense.

KVM is a Linux specific acceleration.

With macOS you want HVF (-accel hvf).

Note, you can only leverage hardware acceleration if your guest
architecture is the same as your host. So in your case you can
only use HVF with ARM guests.

Regards,

Phil.